Monday, December 28

Kite Hill | A Whole Foods Market Exclusive Brand

COMPANY: Kite Hill
PRODUCT: As many as I can get my hands on!
COST: Varies item to item, and I assume store to store.
DESCRIPTION: Kite Hill began with a vision for a plant-based food that would have all the qualities relished in the best artisan dairy cheeses. As they believe the best part of eating is inviting everyone to the table for a convivial meal, these products had to entice the full range of food lovers, from those dedicated to a plant-based diet to others simply curious about a healthier lifestyle. Kite Hill stands for the very best tasting alternative dairy products made with the simplest ingredients using traditional methods — from artisanal delicacies, nut milk yogurts, and cream cheese style spreads to entrées and even deserts.

ARTISANAL DELICACIES:
» Soft Fresh Truffle Dill & Chive «
Their description:
Soft Fresh Truffle, Dill & Chive is supple and creamy with earthy, black truffle overtones. The almond milk curds are mixed by hand with fresh truffle oil and a mixture of herbs, and then shaped and pressed immediately before packaging to ensure ultimate freshness. This fragrant delicacy is best served right out of the refrigerator.

My review: Thanks to the truffle and dill, this actually gave it a more egg-like taste. I used it on my morning breakfast scramble and it took it to a whole new level!  


» RICOTTA « 
Their description: Our ricotta has sweet, and cultured overtones, and a buttery, smooth finish. It is moist and incredibly versatile. Its silky texture makes for a great mascarpone substitute and is ideal for desserts.

My review: Holy smokes! I want more of this right now. And... I now want them to make cottage cheese. I can't wait to create some Italian dishes with this! My only complaint is that the packaging isn't resealable. I happened to have a lid from one of the others that I used, luckily.


YOGURTS:

» Vanilla «
Their description: Our plain almond milk yogurt is produced exclusively with the highest quality, local almonds that provide a smooth and delicate mouthfeel and flavor. The natural flavor of our almond milk is balanced with acidity produced by Probiotic cultures that are aged with the milk during production.
My review: I don't like it as much as the peach one, but it's a great base. Perfect for yogurt or smoothies. Still a winner in my book!

» Peach «  
Their description: Carefully picked peaches from Sunny California orchards are first tossed with citrus and organic cane sugar and allowed to ripen for several hours. They are then mixed into the yogurt to add bright flavors that thrive in our yogurts over time.

My review: Peach is my favorite of all yogurt flavors — so I had high expectations for this one after have the artisanal options above. I will say, it's nice to have yogurt back in the mix (I do not like soy-based at all and almond-based options aren't always available). It's good, but it's not blowing my socks off like the ricotta did. 

CREAM CHEESE STYLE SPREADS: 
» Plain Cream Cheese Style Spread « Their description: Our cream cheese style spreads are made with all natural ingredients to create a complex flavor and a velvety smooth texture. Each batch is cultured to add depth, sweetness, and a subtle tang. Our spread is great smeared on a bagel, or served alongside fresh fruit or grilled vegetables.
My review: I've tried so many different types of cream cheese — never satisfied, chalking it up to being gone from my grocery list for good. Then Kite Hill came along. This is amazing! It tastes exactly like the cream cheese you use to love before you realized what it really meant to consume dairy. Bagels, spreads, baking, jalapeño poppers... watch out!  

» Chive Cream Cheese Style Spread « Their description: Our cream cheeses style spreads are made with all natural ingredients to create a spread with complex flavor and velvety smooth texture. Each batch is cultured to add depth, sweetness, and a subtle tang. Chives and white pepper add a pop of freshness and spice. It is great smeared on a bagel, or served alongside fresh fruit or grilled vegetables.
My review: Because, heaven-forbid, you only make awesome plain cream cheese. Show offs! :) 

CHEESECAKES: 
 
» Pumpkin Cheesecake Tart « Their description: Kite Hill fresh Ricotta is whipped with pumpkin puree, fall spices and brown sugar to give a vibrant, welcoming flavor and texture. The filling is then poured into a ginger snap tart shell and slow baked to perfection. Serve with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream to accent the fall spices and ginger.
My review: This was the perfect Thanksgiving dessert! Before you even cut into it, such a beautiful presentation. But let's dig in... Soft, chewy crust. Rich, creamy cheese cake. Traditional, fall-spiced pumpkin pie. All in one tart. It's not very thick, which is nice — you feel less guilty about having a second piece! 

There are more I haven't been able to find at the Whole Foods Markets I hit up when I'm near one — so I'll add to this review as I find them. They're absolutely amazing! Thank you, Kite Hill!

2 responses:

  1. Hello to all,
    I am not sure "Kite hill" cheeses are really dairy free. They say that. But in their patents online they explain using transglutaminase enzyme, such as "Ajinomoto" brand, for curdling almond milk. If it is so, then their cheese is not dairy free, as Ajinomoto transglutaminase includes casein. I personally wrote asking "kite hill" to confirm they are not using it, but have not received any answer. Remember, just saying on the package that they use "enzymes" is not enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is incredibly important to hear, thank you so much for sharing it. I will join in on the research and encouraging Kite Hill to speak out on this!

      Delete